The Boodle Blog
Live your Heritage
Heritage Day offers an opportunity to get together with family and friends for braais and parties, but it’s also a special time to celebrate our wonderful country and our diverse cultures and traditions.
Take inspiration from your roots – promote your African identity by dressing up in a traditional outfit and serving traditional food. We’ve included a simple, quick recipe for an awesome braai sauce that you can also use as a marinade or to baste meat on the braai.
Easy Braai Sauce Recipe
- 3 or 4 cloves of garlic, crushed or grated
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 green sweet pepper, de-seeded and chopped
- 50 ml brown vinegar
- 15 ml cooking oil
- 1 tin whole tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 30 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 2 ml Tabasco Sauce (or use cayenne pepper as a substitute)
- 50 ml brown sugar
- 5 ml French mustard
- 30 ml fruit chutney such as Mrs Ball’s Original Recipe Chutney
- Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan
- Fry the onions, garlic and sweet pepper until the onions are translucent.
- Add the vinegar and the remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes.
Good food, good friends and good music – the three things that make anything special. Enjoy!